“Tantalus” synchrotron radiation source records (1940-1995)
At the University of Wisconsin at Madison, from 1965-1967, a team led by particle physicist Ednor Rowe began constructing a machine designed to analyze high-energy particle accelerators. But as the apparatus came tantalizingly close to completion, the project lost its funding, which led the scientists to nickname their machine "Tantalus." Tantalus was the first dedicated synchrotron radiation laboratory and source. In addition to oral and video history interviews, this collection contains notebooks, manuals, and other data and operational logbooks documenting the creation, building, and maintenance of Tantalus, and the experiments performed on the machine. Part of the Tantalus ring is in the Museum’s Division of Information, Technology, and Society collections.
3.5 cu. ft.: 11 boxes containing notebooks, manuals, data and operational logbooks, photographs, maser beam schedule sheets, storage ring blueprints, and oral and video histories. Series 5 includes interviews with Ednor Rowe, Fred Brown, Cliff Olson, Charles Pruett, and Roger Otte. Go to Tantalus collection finding aid.
See related article »